Tuesday 15 January 2013

Thai Base @ Bandar Sri Damansara

I have heard of this restaurant a number of times from friends but never really got to go although it is not too far. In my mind, I have always felt that this restaurant may be posh and expensive. That is the feel that I had every time I visited their website.

However, today as I have been starving all day, decided to have something heavy for dinner and set my mind  to visit this place. Initially, I was not too sure of the location and called the number on the website. After  numerous rings, the lady boss answered the phone. She was Malay and she gave me precise directions which was not too difficult to find as I was reasonably familiar with the place.

Thai Base Restaurant
Once I arrived at this location, it was then I realised that is was a simple restaurant but then I was told that they have an air conditioned dining hall on the first floor too which we could book for special occasions. The restaurant was crowded and we settled for the ground floor.


An interesting observation here was the restaurants name was Thai, they tried their best to make it look like a Chinese restaurant from the decorations but the owners, workers and majority patrons were Malays. Obviously, this translated into the menu as well. They serve an array of Thai, Malay and Chinese dishes, all Halal.

Inside The Restaurant
Going through the menu, the food prices seemed very cheap and they even have individual dishes like Laksa, Curry Mee etc for you to order. As I placed my order, I initially ordered around six dishes and then the waitress asked me how many people and I said two. She said, just order two dishes and that would be more than enough. Being both greedy and not trusting her word, I stayed with four and when the dishes arrived, I truly understood why she said that.

A Sewing Machine Converted into a Table
Waiting For Dinner
Although the restaurant was quite crowded, I would say that the staffs were very efficient. Food orders were taken immediately and the food arrives pretty fast too.

2 x Telur Dadar @ RM 3.00
I first ordered Egg Foo Yong but then she told me that it would be too big and we would not be able to finish it hence the waitress suggested for us to have this. Such a huge portion and just for RM 3.00 .

Thai Green Curry Chicken @ RM 10.00
I know what you are thinking now...why is the curry so green..hehehe but true, it was a huge portion and it was good. Just for this dish, I felt that there was a little too much coconut milk and not as spicy as I expected it to be. You may not be able to gauge the actual size of these dishes but then in the last photo, you would be able to see what I was talking about.

Sambal Tumis Sotong @ RM 14.00
This was a super dish. It was extremely spicy and we truly loved it. I would highly recommend this dish to anyone who loves spicy food.

Ayam Masak Merah @ RM 10.00
I liked this dish very much too. Please note that all these dishes are small size orders. This chicken dish was also done rightly and it came with such huge portions. You would never get these portion sizes at any other Thai, Chinese or Malay restaurant for that matter.

Here You Can See The Dish Sizes by Proportion
On the whole, this is definitely a great place to dine. I wonder how they make their profit margins when serving huge portions and a very reasonable price. No wonder it attracts great crowds. I also noted that they do catering both on site and off site and reservations can be made through phone or via their website. In short, a highly recommended restaurant!!!

Address: No. 7, Jalan Tanjung SD 13/2,
                Bandar Sri Damansara,
                52200 Kuala Lumpur

Tel:  +603 6272 1184

Website: http://site.groupbasecorp.com.my/main/3143/index.asp?pageid=100597

Opening Hours : 0730 - 2300

No comments:

Post a Comment