Thursday 23 May 2013

Red Onion @ Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur

Located in Jalan Telawi, Bangsar is this restaurant called Red Onion Restaurant that serves good Pakistani and Middle Eastern dishes. They are located towards the end of Jalan Telawi facing the houses and right beside the Dominos Pizza outlet. I first heard of this restaurant from a friend of mine who loves Pakistani and Afghan food and he strongly recommended this place to me. Having heard from a fussy diner like him means that this place must be surely good. 

Red Onion Restaurant in Jalan Telawi

Interior of the Restaurant

Interior of the Restaurant
As always, we had a great problem finding a parking bay. Jalan Telawi is an area that is buzzing with activity be it day or night. I have had to park at a distance and walk up to this restaurant. This restaurant is fairly new and has been designed beautifully. I specifically liked the extremely warm reception given at this restaurant by everyone there. The design and ambiance is also lovely and the tables are well spaced to give the diners some decent privacy in their conversations. There is also a TV that continuously plays Pakistani channels. 

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

Cutlery
The above are just photographs from some of the menu pages. They serve a wide variety of dishes which covers Pakistani, Arabic, Middle Eastern, Western and Afghan Cuisines. Not to forget they also offer a small number of Vegetarian dishes. I think their specialty lies specifically around the Pakistani, Arabic and Afghan Cuisines. This is based on my observation from the number of people in the restaurant ordering these dishes. It did not take us long to decide on the dishes as my friend had already recommended some good dishes here to try.

Chicken & Corn Soup @ RM 10.00
This was the first starters that came and Angie had ordered this dish. It is Chicken & Corn Soup, Pakistani Style. I tried this soup and my verdict is that it was absolutely great. It was lightly flavoured but with great amounts of black pepper and that makes it quite spicy. There is also some eggs in it. I have never tasted anything like this before in all the Pakistani restaurants that I have visited. It's simply fantastic. I would rate this at 10/10 .

Salad @ RM 10.00
Okey, yes I know what you are thinking. There was no photograph of this dish in their menu and I had ordered this Salad as the starters. I don't really know how to call this a salad but it is and it is priced at RM 10.00 . To me, this looks more like fresh ingredients that would be added into another dish while cooking and chili....that's a little too much. Maybe this is the Pakistani style? I do not know and because of that I would not rate this dish at all.

Naan Basket @ RM 10.00
This is by far one of the best Naan that I have ever tried. It was on the thick side and yet it was extremely soft and fluffy. The Naan Basket comes with two huge Naan breads. I would rate this at 9.8/10 .

Lamb Dopiaza @ RM 20.00
This is a Pakistani dish which is made out of Lamb and Onions in Gravy. It is not spicy but is was well spiced and was really good. The only setback which I felt was that the amount of lamb was a notch too little for the price paid but hey, this is Bangsar and everything is expensive here. Nevertheless, the dish was really good and went extremely well with the bread. I think it would be a good dish to have with rice too.  I would rate this at 8.8 / 10 .

Special Chicken @ RM 22.00
The above dish is called Special Chicken which is Chicken that is marinated overnight with Yoghurt and is then cooked with Salt, Pepper and spices along with some gravy. You can choose which part of the chicken that you want for this dish. It was a pretty good dish and not spicy although there was pepper added. The Yoghurt had been absorbed well into the chicken and has made it very soft. I would rate this dish at 8/10 . Between this and the previous lamb dish, it would prefer the previous. 

Angie All Set For Dinner

Pista @ RM 11.00
This was the desert that we had after dinner. It was typically Almond Pudding with nuts. Even between us, we had different opinions on this dish. Angie did not like this dish but I found it to be just okay. Well, it was not sweet enough and tasted somewhat like oats. I would rate this at 5.5 / 10 . 

Masala Tea @ RM 6.00
Just as the last touch for dinner, I ordered a cup of Masala Tea. It was not bad and came boiling hot. I know many would love it this way but I for one never like hot drinks to be too hot and so for me I had to wait for a while till it cooled down. But I know that most people would love their hot drinks really hot and this would be just perfect for them. I would rate this tea at 7/10 .

Their Other Outlets
I was surprised to learn that they have other outlets too in the Klang Valley and therefore the response from the public must be surely good. I find that their prices are slightly high for the portion size but the food is reasonably good. Another thing that I like about this place is that the owners and waiters keep coming to us asking about how the food was and if we had any complaints or recommendation. This is good customer service.  Definitely worth a try at least once.

Address: No. 4, Jalan Telawi, Bangsar Baru, 59100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1200 - 0000 Daily

Telephone: +603 2201 6674



No comments:

Post a Comment