Tuesday 22 October 2013

Kumar's @ Oasis Ara Damansara, Petaling Jaya

This is my third blog entry on Kumar's which is a Tamil fine dining restaurant located in Oasis Ara Damansara. I first visited them in April this year and that was for a buffet lunch. Having been hooked on to their food, I had been a loyal customer of theirs returning over and over again. If you would like to read my reviews of their buffet lunch, please do click on this link: http://venoth.blogspot.com/2013/04/kumars-restaurant-oasis-ara-damansara.html . The second time I visited this place was sometime early this month and that was with my office mates. During that visit, we had opted to try their Ala Carte dishes and once again Kumar's did not fail to impress us. To access that review, please do click on this link: http://venoth.blogspot.com/2013/10/kumars-restaurant-oasis-ara-damansara.html . This time around, we decided to have our office Annual Dinner at this restaurant. Having had numerous conversations with the General Manager Vincent, we finally came to an agreement on the dishes and the price. The location, was the roof top of the restaurant.

Kumar's at Oasis Ara Damansara

The View Outside The Restaurant
Besides great food, the view from this restaurant is simply superb. It has a beautifully designed water feature which is very soothing to look at. 

The Tables Set Up on the Roof Top

The Dishes

Bar Tables and Sofa's on the dimly lit Roof Top
When we arrived at this restaurant, it was all set up beautifully. The tables and dishes were aligned just the way we had asked for. There was also a canopy put up in case it rained. The cost for the canopy was RM 650.00 which was charged above the price of the food and this had been pre-agreed. One thing that was really great here besides the view was the environment. As it was the roof top, we had the entire floor to ourselves. The restaurant even allowed us to bring our own band that entertained us throughout the night.

White Rice
All the dishes were placed in those bronze containers and they were topped up as the food ran out. That way, they were consistently able to serve us hot food. 

Garlic Naan & Butter Naans
Besides White Rice, we had also ordered some Garlic Naans and Butter Naans. Both the Naans were very soft and nice. I would rate their Naan's at 8.8/10 .

Prawn Masala
The Prawn Masala was really good. They were large prawns which came in a very spicy gravy. I would rate this dish at 9.3/10 .

Squid Sambal
This was another super spicy dish. I was expecting it to be a little dry but they had made it slightly watery which was nice and went well with the White Rice. I would rate this dish at 9.2/10 .

Mutton Varuval
The Mutton Varuval was everyone's favourite dish of the day. It was very well prepared with an equal balance of meat and fat. The gravy was very good and the meat was soft and tender. I would rate this dish at 10/10 .

Chicken 65
The Chicken 65 was good but not the best that I had tried. The meat chunks were a little too hard. I would only rate this at 7/10 .

Fish Cutlets
This was another favourite dish which finished very fast as it was the favourite bites among the beer drinkers. I would rate these cutlets at 8.8/10 .

Mushroom Masala
This dish was rather unique as it was a fusion between Chinese and Indian cooking. It had both spices and sauces and tasted quite nice. The mushroom was also not overcooked thus giving it the crunchy feeling with every bite. I would rate this dish at 9/10 .

Chicken Perattal
Usually Chicken Perattal is quite dry but here it was prepared with some gravy which seemed more like Chicken Curry to me. Nevertheless, it was very well prepared and was slightly on the spicy side. I would rate this dish at 10/10 .

Venthayam Curry
Their Venthayam Curry was very good, in fact it was the best that I have tasted in a restaurant. It came with loads of vegetables and potato and had the perfect touch to it. I would rate this dish at 10/10 .

Vegetable Kurma
This was another well prepared dish and went very well with both the rice and naan's. It was prepared to be slightly thick and that brought about a deeper spice taste to it. We had to have both Vegetarian and Non Vegetarian options as we had some friends who were Vegetarians. I would rate this dish at 8.7/10 .

Sambar
The Sambar was nicely prepared. It was not a major hit but still nice. I would rate this at 8.5/10 .

Aloo Bendi Masala
This Aloo Bendi Masala was another dish well prepared and was very suitable to be eaten with the white rice. I would rate this dish at 8.7/10 .

Vegetarian Mutton Perattal
This was another dish that was specially prepared for the vegetarians. It was a very well prepared dish and they had used the real vegetarian mutton and not the soy meal makers. The curry too was thick and the aroma was wonderful. I would rate this at 9.2/10 .

Potato Cutlet
Just like the Fish Cutlets, these Potato Cutlets too were very good and they were just about the right size. I would rate these at 9.1/10 .

Kesari
The Kesari was wonderful. I must say that it was excellently prepared. I would rate this at 10/10 .

Gulab Jamun
The Gulab Jamun was only above average. I would only rate it at 6/10 .

On the whole, we thoroughly enjoyed the food and their staff were pretty quick in addressing all our needs. They were also well trained to react fast to attend to each one of us. For all the above food, we were charged at RM 130.00 per pax which I think is very reasonable. Would I organise parties here again, of course I would as I was very happy with the way it went today. 

Address: R-03, Central Plaza, No.2, Jalan PJU 1A/7A,  Oasis Ara Damansara,
              47301 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.

Telephone: +603 7734 7742 & +6010 377 5009 (Vincent - Restaurant Manager)

Email: vincent@kumars.my

Website: www.kumars.my

Opening Hours: 1030 - 1500 & 1830 - 2300 Daily


No comments:

Post a Comment