Monday 9 February 2015

Kedai Makanan & Minuman Xiaoshi @ Tanjung Malim, Perak

This restaurant is located along Jalan Cahaya in Taman Angeerik Desa and is just a few doors away from Restaurant Ga Onn. This restaurant is rather new and started it's business sometime in October 2014. My parents are usually not up to it when it comes to trying out new places and though I have suggested this place to them sometime back when they first started, they were quite hesitant for the simple reason of being used to the usual places that they go to. Since I was alone this afternoon, I decided to pop in for lunch. 

Kedai Makanan & Minuman Xiaoshi

The Entrance

Love The Old Clock and Fan Regulators

Interior Of The Restaurant
I have never seen this restaurant being packed with customers but since they have been around for a number of months now, I am sure that they should have their own loyal group of customers. Even today, I was here at sharp 12 noon and there were just a handful of customers but they kept coming in, not in large numbers, but smaller groups. 

Drinks Price List

Owner Preparing The Drinks

Mixed Rice Counter
This is just a family run business. The Husband helps out with the drinks and orders, the Wife, does the cooking and the two sons lend a helping hand doing whatever other chores that may come up. It seemed that they have Chee Cheong Fun for breakfast along with some Dumpling and for lunch, they have some Economy Mixed Rice along with some Noodle dishes.

Chinese Tea @ RM 0.50
I just ordered the above Chinese Tea and this was priced at 50 cents per glass. As requested, the tea came in a long glass filled with ice cubes. 50 cents for this is a very reasonable price though there are some shops who charge somewhere around 30 cents and some who serve this free of charge. 

My Meal @ RM 5.00

My Meal @ RM 5.00
I went to check out what they had at the Mixed Rice counter and all that they had were just four dishes and it did  not seem like the others had been sold out. Quite a number of customers ended up ordering their Pan Mee which the lady boss prepared freshly based on orders. Time was limited and so, I decided to just go with the Mixed Rice and make do with what was there. I had a serving of Mixed Vegetables, Some Chicken Curry with Potato's, Steamed Stuffed Bean Curd and some mixed gravy. Along with my meal, I was also served a bowl of clear Pepper Soup. My meal cost me RM 5.00 which I felt was on the high side for this small town. Now time to taste the food. 

Mixed Gravy
Being an Indian, gravy for me is a must. The only gravy that I could find here today was their Curry Chicken Curry which was slightly dry and some sauce from their Stewed Pork Belly dish. So I took a little of each. The Gravies were just so so, nothing great to be honest and I would rate them at 5/10 . Pretty average only.

Mixed Vegetable With Bean Curd Skin
This was not as good as it looks. The entire dish was quite bland and lacked salt. Did not like the dish at all and I would rate this at 3.10 .

Steamed Stuffed Bean Curd
This again was a disappointment. The stuffed meat were too little and the Bean Curd were hard. Once again, there was a shortage of salt and the dish tasted very much like hospital food. I would rate this at 5/10 .

Curry Chicken with Potato's
Well, someone must have scooped out most of the Chicken as when I looked at it, there was just one piece left with lots of potato's in the tray. This was one that tasted very much better among all the others that I previously tasted. I would rate this at 7/10 .

Super Spicy Pepper Soup
This was provided complimentary with the Mixed Rice. The Soup was way too spicy. It was delicious when having it but not friendly to the tummy as it was too spicy. It would have been better if the amount of pepper added could have been reduced. Nevertheless, a good preparation and I would rate this at 9/10 .

The  Mixed Rice that I tried today was a disappointment. None of it tasted good and the choices were too limited. I don't think I would be returning for the same. Perhaps, to try their Pan Mee but surely not for this. 

Address: No.16, Jalan Cahaya, Taman Anggerik Desa, 35900 Tanjung Malim, 
                Perak, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0800 - 1500 Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment