Wednesday 4 February 2015

Leko Leko! Signature Cafe @ NU Sentral, Kuala Lumpur

NU Sentral is the latest shopping mall in Kuala Lumpur and it is good that it is connected to KL Sentral. Fortunately, KL Sentral is no longer just a place of transit and is no longer boring to those who are waiting for their trains. I was here this afternoon and this is my very first visit here, to NU Sentral. The mall was impressive but they were not operating at full scale as there were still a number of outlets that were under renovation. As I was walking around the mall, I came across this cute looking outlet called Leko Leko. Of course, we all being Malaysians know what Keropok Lekor is but this is the first time that I am seeing such a stall that operates on a franchise concept. As it was tea time, I was curious and wanted to give them a try. 

Leko Leko on Level 5 of NU Sentral Mall

This Is Their Signature Outlet

Small Seating Area

Work Space Cum Kitchenette 

Two Signature Dishes

The Outlet
This outlet is located on the 5th Floor of NU Sentral Mall. I did some reading on this business and understand that they have been around since November 2010. Most of their outlets are small kiosks and this is a flagship outlet that has a relatively huge dining space for customers. When I was here, it was a non peak time and at that time, the outlet was manned by just two young girls. 

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu
Their Menu offered three key food items, Kerepok Lekor, Beef Balls and Potato Chips. I wanted to just stick with the Keropok Lekor and hence went for that. There were two flavours available, Cheese and Black Pepper. I ordered one from each, both small just to get a taste of the items here. Besides ala carte, they also have set meals which ties you with a drink and comes at a value price that entitles you to some savings. I ordered one of the set and another Ala Carte. For those who are curious, free testers were also available. I then paid for the food and went over to sit. The waitress informed me that the Keropok Lekor would be sent over to my table shortly. 

Sunquick Mango
The drinks that were offered with the set were typically Sunquick and both Mango and Orange flavours were available. They must have a special tie with Sunquick to run this offer. I went for the Mango. The drink however was watered down. Not too bad but it wasn't good either. The good thing about this was that it was served cold to my liking. Otherwise, it was just another drink and I would rate this at 5/10 .

Keropok Lekor Black Pepper

Keropol Lekor Black Pepper
As an Ala Carte item, this small cup is priced at RM 3.50 and it was just a few cuts of Kerpok Lekor, probably from two pieces and snipped into multiple small pieces and sprayed with Black Pepper Sauce from a Ketchup container. Pretty much that was what it was. For me, it was not at all impressive as I have eaten very much tastier and fresher Keropok Lekor in Kuantan and Terengganu. This just seemed like a wish wash item for the city dwellers or probably foreign tourists. The Black Pepper sauce was very much scanty and the spray was just limited to the top few cuts only. I would only rate this at 3/10 .

Cheesy Keropok Lekor

Cheese Keropok Lekor
Similar to the earlier one, this too was a very mediocre if not an ordinary item. The Cheese Flavour was only sprayed at the top and anything that was below that, had no traces of the cheese. Another one that I did not quite like. If only the Keropok Lekor was fresher, I would not have minded eating them plain but this seemed like it was from some time back and lacked the oomph factor. I would only rate this at 2/10 . 

I guess I was not alone in my judgement. Another two tables who walked in simply out of curiosity had the very same opinion as well as I heard one of them telling the waitress and another just talking among themselves. A white man too mentioned the same saying that this was an eye wash item for tourists. I believe that this guy might have been living in Malaysia for a number of years now as his taste buds have become pretty much Malaysian. For me, once was enough and I doubt that I would be a returning customer.

Address: Level 5, NU Sentral, No. 201, Jalan Tun Sambanthan,
                50470 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1000 - 2200 Daily

Website: http://www.leko-leko.com/company.html

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lekolekofc/timeline

No comments:

Post a Comment