Friday 17 April 2015

Restoran Jaya @ Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur

Restoran Jaya is located along Jalan Thambipillai, which is the road that is directly parallel to Jalan Tun Sambanthan on NU Sentral side. This restaurant seems rather new and I am sure that not many, except for those who work around Brickfields would be familiar with this restaurant. The place seems to be usually packed with customers for lunch as I have seen this a number of times when I passed by. I have always wanted to visit them for lunch but just never got the opportunity. Today as I was in the vicinity, I decided on dropping by to take away some food for dinner. 

Restaurant Jaya Located Along Jalan Thambipillai

Very Clean Restaurant
All the furniture and fittings seemed very new and the place was immaculately clean. It was so organised and I was very impressed with them. Hardly see this kind of cleanliness in restaurants that are located in Brickfields. What I liked most about this place was their signage and price lists. All their food items and their prices were clearly displayed on the walls, and this includes the list of all their evening cakes too. This is an excellent practice as it gives a clear indication to diners as to what the bill will look like for their respective orders. It was approximately 5 pm when I was here and there were just a handful of customers doing their evening tea. I am sure that in a while, business would pick up once again as people would start leaving their offices heading home. Having taken my place, I then ordered myself a cup of Teh Tarik. I did not want to place my food orders yet as I wanted to have a clear indication of their available spread and this, I would only be able to do by having a thorough read of all the items on those lists. With that, the waiter left and gave me some space to check out the lists in detail.

Teh Tarik @ RM 1.40
Shortly, my tea arrived. It was a good Teh Tarik. One that was not stingy with the amount of tea dust used and it was mildly sweet, just the way I like it. I would rate this at 9/10 . A good cup of tea indeed!

Non Vegetarian Spread

Vegetarian Dishes and Their Evening Cakes

Even These Were Clearly Labelled
I then took a break from my tea and started walking towards their food counter to see what's available. They definitely had a good spread of both vegetarian and non vegetarian dishes. These were kept at separate counters and this applies to their evening cakes too. Vegetarian cakes were placed at the vegetarian counter and non vegetarian cakes were placed at the non vegetarian counter. After having gone through what was available, I then called the waiter to place my orders. I gave clear instructions as to how I wanted them packed as I was travelling back to Tanjung Malim by KTM Komuter and that's like a two hour journey. It is crucial that these are packed correctly as I did not want the entire coach to smell of my food. With that, I continued to enjoy my tea. After around 20 minutes, all my items were ready and I was glad that they had packed them exactly as I instructed. Glad that they actually listened and executed accordingly. With that, I paid for the items and left the restaurant heading back to KL Sentral. The next section below is about the food items and they are all pictures taken at home using our utensils. So, please excuse the photo quality as they were taken using reasonably dim lighting. 

Puri @ RM 2.40
I ordered two set's of Puri's and they were priced at RM 2.40 per set.. Their Puri's comes in a set of two and these are served with Potato Curry. They were just about the right size. Their Puri's were not the best that I have tried, slightly on the thicker side but, it was still good. It would have been better if these were slightly thinner. Otherwise, they were excellent! I would rate their Puri's at 7/10 . Another good thing that I noted was that their Puri's were not at all oily. So, it would be good for those who are health conscious. 

Potato Curry

Potato Curry
The Potato Curry comes with the Puri set's and they were amazingly good. Thick and not the diluted type. You could see the amount of Potato's used along with some carrots and onions. Loved them and they were an excellent preparation. I would rate these at 9.4/10 .

Vegetarian Murtabak @ RM 4.20 each

Vegetarian Murtabak @ RM 4.20 each
We have always had the usual Chicken or Mutton Murtabak and this is the first time that I am trying out the vegetarian Murtabak. The size was huge and it was aptly priced. I was initially expecting just some potato curry inside but to my amazement, it was filled with potato's, green peas, button mushrooms and a number of other mushroom varieties cooked with some rich spices that were so delicious. One did not need any curry to go with this, it was so good on it's own. Another excellent preparation and I would rate this at 9.8/10 . Highly recommended!

Vegetarian Kulambu

Vegetarian Kulambu
Along with the Vegetarian Murtabak, they provided us with the above Vegetarian Kulambu. This was another awesome preparation. Describing this would seriously be difficult as one needs to taste it in order to experience the awesomeness. All that I can say was it was heavenly. Even when we were done with the Murtabak, I was literally drinking this gravy. Delicious and I would rate this at 9.8/10 .

Vegetarian Kothu Barottah @ RM 4.20

Vegetarian Kothu Barottah @ RM 4.20
The Vegetarian Kothu Barottah was another good preparation. Quite similar to their Murtabak, but this was a notch spicier. It tasted more crunchy too. If I had tasted this alone, then I would have said that this was very good but having tasted their vegetarian Murtabak, this then becomes the second best dish that I tried tonight. Excellent and I would rate this at 9.5/10 . Another highly recommended dish here. 

Boli @ RM 1.20 each

Boli @ RM 1.20 each
Finally, as a desert item, we had some Boli and this was priced at RM 1.20 each. Boli is a South Indian sweet and it is made using flour and Mung Bean (Green Dhal). It is a rare item that we hardly see at restaurants and I was delighted when I got to know that they have it here. It was soft, sweetened to just the right levels and they were heavenly! Usually it's yellowish in colour but the preparation here is on the Orange side of colour. I am not sure what contributed to that but it surely was good, and cheap too. I would rate this at 8.8/10 .

Not The Full Bill As The Boli Price Was Not Included Yet
Overall, it was a fantastic dinner and despite having had our food after 2 hours from the time of preparation (travel time), they were still hot and tasted absolutely good. I am glad that I discovered this restaurant in Brickfields and would bravely recommend this place. I definitely intend on returning soon to try out their Banana Leaf Meals as well. 

Address: No. 51, Jalan Thambipillai, Off Jalan Tun Sambanthan,
                50470 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0700 - 2300 Daily

Telephone: +603 2274 2625 

5 comments:

  1. Everything looks splendid especially the Teh Tarik, Venoth! I am glad the Vegetarian Murtabak has more than just potatoes. Gives this place an advantage.
    Can't wait for your review on the Banana Leaf meals...looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping to try soon too DeNiSe :)

      Delete
    2. Denise, I just learned that the owners are basically your favourite in Penang......Jaya Catering ! Just wanted to share with you here :)

      Delete
  2. Ahhh....I see but the thing is that the Jaya Catering here doesn't serve this stuff! how sad...

    ReplyDelete