Monday 27 April 2015

Restoran SJ Corner @ Rawang, Selangor

It's dinner time and I'm waiting for my north bound train at Rawang KTM station which is scheduled to arrive in another one hour. Feeling hungry, I decided to cross over to Bandar Baru Rawang and check out this relatively new Indian Muslim Restaurant called Restoran SJ Corner which was just a three minutes walk from the Komuter Station. 

Parking Spaces

Located Along Jalan Bandar Rawang 12

Very Classy Looking Restaurant

Clean Environment

Drinks Counter
If you are standing at the KTM Station, then this restaurant is clearly visible. This restaurant is located along Jalan Bandar Rawang 12. The place was very posh looking. They had both indoor and outdoor seats and the entire restaurant was air conditioned. This is not the typical Indian Muslim Restaurant that we are commonly used to and they are carrying themselves as a modern Nasi Kandar place. I was here at sometime around 8.30 pm and the response from customers seemed decent. Being a corner unit, the restaurant was very spacious and it was beautifully designed. Definitely a lot of money had been spent on renovations. Parking spaces were very much available and that is definitely a plus point for them.

Good Spread Of Dishes

Checking Out The Curries
I then walked over to the curries station and was happy to see a good spread. For this hour, the availability of dishes were quite good. There was a well dressed man standing at this counter and he was serving the customers. Just like any other Nasi Kandar place, the serving was handled by the staffs who would select the curries based on customers instructions. Having gotten my food, I then returned to my table.

Iced Water @ RM 0.30

My Meal @ RM 10.50
Once I was seated, a Malay girl came over, checked the items that I had taken and then wrote down the price on a piece of paper and slid it under my plate. I was surprised to see that my helping had cost me RM 10.50 . This very same selection would have cost me under RM 8.00 in any one of those famous Nasi Kandar restaurants in Kuala Lumpur and for Rawang, this price was just exorbitant, regardless of how posh the restaurant looked. I looked at the handwritten piece of paper once again and asked her if the price was right. She looked at it and replied that that's the price here. I did not want to argue and just left it while nodding my head. I had ordered a glass of Iced Water and this was priced at 30 cents. The price of the drink is fine but the food is definitely expensive. I had taken half the usual portion of White Rice, a mix of curries, some Cabbage, some Mutton and one piece of Fish Cutlet. Price aside, the service however was very fast and in less that a minute, my drink was sent over to the table. Even at the curries station, the gentleman at the counter was very friendly and obliging. Now, time to taste the food.

Mix Of Curries
Whenever I have Nasi Kandar, I would always ask for a mix of gravies and I did the very same thing here. Before I comment about the gravy, let me say a few words about the rice. The rice was not fully cooked and I wonder how they could do that mistake in a restaurant. Even an idiot would be able to cook rice using a rice cooker these days. After all, technology does everything for you. That was a big put off for me. Now, coming back to the curries. The curries were bad, not slightly bad but really bad. Places like Nesan Curry House or even Adaikalam Mess for that matter which is just a five minutes walk from here serves curries that taste a hundred times better. The gravy was very much tasteless and bland. I would only rate this at 2/10 . 

Cabbage
The Cabbage was just average tasting and definitely something that was cooked in the morning. Give it another 2 hours and it would have turned bad. Already, it had started showing some signs. Anyway, up to this point in time, it was still edible. I would rate this at 5.5/10 .

Mutton
I also had a serving of mutton and this was not good either. In fact, it was just so so. Regretted taking this. The meat was lean with not much fat but the preparation was hopeless. I would only rate this at 5/10 . 

Fish Cutlet

Fish Cutlet
In contrast to all the earlier items tried, the Fish Cutlet was amazingly good. This reminded me of the Fish Cutlet from Sithique Nasi Kandar in Brickfields. It was rich with fish meat (and not eggs like in most places) and spices and it was simply fantastic. This is one that I would highly recommend here and would rate this at 9.4/10 . Excellent one!

My Bill
Overall, I was not happy with the food and the prices at this restaurant. Except for the Fish Cutlet, everything else was just okay. Prices were exorbitant but the service was good. This is definitely a premium Indian Muslim Restaurant that serves very mediocre food. I doubt if I would be returning, maybe just for a drink and of course.....the Fish Cutlet!

Address: Along Jalan Bandar Rawang 12, Bandar Baru Rawang, 
                48000 Rawang, Selangor, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0700 - 0000 Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment